Slip and fall cases in a lot of instances are settled outside of court simply because it takes why more time and money to settle this within court. It also is a very lengthy process. However with many slip and fall cases that are settled, everyone is different, and it does depend on the specific circumstances at hand.
While every single accident is different, every single slip and fall case needs to have this in order to be taken further, and the victim must prove this. First, they must prove the owner had something dangerous or hazardous on their property. The second, is they failed to prove that this was hazardous or dangerous, or to warn them of this. Finally, because of this, it directly caused injuries to the victim. At the end of it all, the victim must prove that the owner of the property was negligent, either by failing to tell them, or failing to maintain the property of the dangerous substance or condition that caused the accident at hand.
Types of Cases
Typically, these occur both on residential properties, and commercial properties as well. The locations are oftentimes floors that are wet and slippery, parking lots or driveways that are slippery or icy, walkways and areas that are uneven, places that are cluttered or unlit, potholes, ditches, or even damaged places including stairs and floors, and in some cases the slip and fall is so severe that it can lead to death.
- Typically, the visitors to the property also have some degree of responsibility of care that’s given to them by the owner of the property.
- For example guest at the establishment, those personal guests of a business, and also those who are invited or otherwise, are given care by the owner themselves too in order to make sure that they’re taken care of by the owner of this.
- If you are a trespasser though, the owner does not need to take responsibility for this, but instead, they won’t be held liable for this types of case.
- If there is a slip and fall case, then you will either have one of two options. Settle this in court, or settle this outside of court.
- In most instances, these kinds of cases are settled way outside of court before trial occurs. While every single case does differ, the types of cases that are settled might be done a little shorter than others.
- Most of the time, this is based on the evidence to see how strong the cases is. However, this can be a challenge outside of court, especially if there isn’t’ a ton of information to prove it one way or another, and also how the insurance companies are willing to work with you on this kind of case.
- The timing also is dependent upon as well how much that the insurance wis willing to give as a settlement to those suffer from slip and falls.
- In some cases, mediation does occur, which is where they try to negotiate through third parties, where mutual compromises might happen as a result in this. This is typically the last step in thig kind of settlement, since usually it can be done of finalize any parts of this. This also is the final step because if it doesn’t happen, then trial occurs.
If you struggle with settlements, then you can talk to an attorney to see if you do qualify for it, and if you do qualify, then where to begin with this.